Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do people feel about that chimpanzee attacking that woman in Connecticut?

I live in the actual city where it happened, and I see theres mixed reviews. Some people say the woman should'nt have even owned the chimpanzee and shes irresponsible.I think it took a lot of courage for her to stab the chimpanzee she had raised as a child.Do you think people should be allowed to own exotic pets?|||Wow,I've just read that and think its a desperately sad story. Looks like the chimp just flipped and nearly killed someone and then injured two police officers.Chimps can be unpredictable and aren't always these cuddly furry animals dressed in nappies.


I cant really judge her on whether she should have owned him or not.but with any exotic animal there is always a risk these sorts of things can happen|||http://nashtrust.com





That is a link to the trust for the woman who was attacked. Please stop by if you have the chance

Report Abuse


|||We had a case out here where a man and his wife who were visiting their pet chimp at a wildlife sanctuary were attacked by two other chimps. The man suffered horrific injuries, but he survived.





Chimps are smart, aggressive, and they are WILD ANIMALS. When they're babies, they may seem cute and helpless and compliant, but they grow up to weight 140-200 pounds, have five to six times the strength of a person of comparable size, and can behave with great aggression, because they are wild animals that live in groups where the objective of group members is to rise as high in the peck order as they can. When they live with people, the same imperative applies: they will challenge their human "family" members.





I think that private ownership of chimps should be limited to legitimate zoological societies that have facilities to house them humanely in a way consistent with the structure of the way they live in the wild.





The woman who owned this chimp was clearly unable to manage this chimp by herself in the facilities in which he was kept. To me, that argues that she was grossly negligent in keeping the chimp.





I do not understand why anyone who loves animals would want to put an animal like a chimp in the position of being a household pet. It's dangerous to the people and to the animal. Crazy.





The poor woman who was attacked, if she survives, has apparently lost both hands and suffered horrific facial mutilations. No way should this animal have been kept anywhere outside of a zoo.|||I feel bad for all of them. I feel sad for the injured friend. I feel sad for the confused Chimp. I feel sad for the owner who housed the Chimp, it is apparent that she loved the animal. It did take courage, she did what needed to be done in stabbing the Chimp. If people are allowed to house exotic pets, there should be some strictly enforced guidelines. This woman blurred reality that furry little friend was more child and family and not really viewed as a potentially dangerous animal. It is somewhat understandable.|||I was devastated to hear about it. The woman was crying for losing her beloved chimpanzee. I disagree with Karin C, explaining how the woman was irresponsible in owning the wild animal. 14 years in owning the chimp, it was like her child. Karin-Don't take this personally, or offending, I am typing this with all do respect. Any animal by that chance to me, can strike. Example: The most well trained dog, can attack anyone for any or no reason. I have seen it myself. Yes, she was educated about chimps(obviously owning it for 14 years) and she should of known the disadvantages of owning such a power full animal. I own snakes, they are dog tame, but do bite me once in a while. Not when they are going through sheds, startled, nor hungry. Why? Because they are, and were wild animals. Animals are animals. I treat my 3 dogs(a purebred American Pit Bull Terrier, and 2 purebred German Shepherds)like dogs, because that is what they are. Treating them like humans is just asking for an ill manored dog. That can lead to aggression. My heart goes out to the woman had been mouled, and also to the owner.


The monkey was all she had.


I think exotic pets should be kept in captivity, not pets. If pets, they should be ready for what they are getting into, and should be prepared.|||Well number one I dont agree with the said side effects of xanax on humans. Xanax can make people wild and homicidal. Number two if that keeper was in fact giving that animal that drug she should be charged with possession of a controlled substance. Number three I work for hospitals and I know this fact. Also I know a 21 year old that was on that drug and brutally murdered a pregnant girl in Colorado.


As far as the woman keeping the chimp, I am not sure if that is illegal but why would a person have an animal that should be in the wild in captivity. As I live in Australia and well people here doing that would be jailed or severely fined. But in fact during the autopsy did they check for the drug in the animals system? If not then that was stupid.


Taz|||No. No.No. These are wild animals and they belong to the wild not in someone's house or backyard. People are going to have to get a grip that these animals are not meant to be domesticated, and untill people wake up and realize that they'll be more people getting hurt, maimed or even killed. Even dogs and cats have a wild tendency about them and at times we can domesticate them but that can only go so far. No, people should not be allowed to own or have exotic pets.|||Some exotic pets, sure. Chimpanzees ... under NO circumstances. An adult chimpanzee is 3-7 times as strong as an adult human male, and they can rip a person's genitals and face off in seconds. (Which they are prone to do.) They belong in the wild or in properly designed and maintained sanctuaries. There is utterly no legitimate reason why someone would have such an animal in a home where they pose a terrible risk to their neighbours.





I'm big on animal rights too, but that's the point, chimps are ANIMALS, not pets or companions.|||No I don't think they should be able to own exotic pets for this exact reason. They are not created to be domesticated. Animals like dogs and cats have been domesticated for sooooooooo long however chimpanzees have not and they probably shouldn't. I just wonder how many times a wild "tamed" animal is going to have to die because of idiotic people who can't just go with a normal pet?|||It is horrible. I do not blame the animal. It is a wild animal. It is not a person. It may have been sick. It may have been having one of those moments and lacks the control mechanism that humans have to stop it. It's tragic all around. I am very interested in what the experts have to say. I love all animals. I have pets. I could not do that to any of my pets, never. I don't treat them like they are human. I treat them well and I take very good care of them.|||shocking. I do not think people should be allowed to keep them or any animal that has 4-7 times the strength of a grown man or eats human flesh. Animals have a natural instinct that's like a timebomb---we can't determine when/where or what will set it off: We can only suffer the after-effects %26amp; regret. Thank GOD she stabbed it. I don't think it took courage--I would've been OUTRAGED %26amp; FURIOUS had it been MY pet eating my good friend--I would have had NO TROUBLE putting a human's life before my pet's.





Poor Charla.





I wonder if he actually severed BOTH her hands %26amp; how much of her face he ate?|||i don't think anyone should own any animal that isn't supposed to be raised/cared for in a home (i.e. domesticated). any exotic/wild animal needs to be left alone in it's natural habitat, because if not, there's just no telling what can happen (i.e. the most recent story)|||i think its stupid that people have chimpanzees as pets ,they get to a certain maturity then are hard to control. that lady must be heartboken, but she did what she had to do. not a nice fate for the chimpanzee it should never have happened|||Chimpanzees are our closest relatives genetically (along with gorillas). I'd treat this as a case of domestic violence.|||Another law to limit the choice of pets. No. It is a personal common sense decision that your government should let you make.|||I live in Stamford tooo!! Who are you? LOL|||BTW, that chimpanzee was the same one on the Old Navy Commercials some few years ago. So ironic. But a very sad story.|||The animal should not have been treated as a human..


The same thing happened to the bear guy a couple of years ago. He and his girlfriend were out living with the Kodiak bears, and he even went up and petted them and had names for them.. Well the bears ate him for dinner one evening and it ended up being recorded on his video camera..


Don't expect animals to be humans.. They aren't.


Like the old saying:


Some days you eat the bears, and some days the bears eat you.

No comments:

Post a Comment